احصل على الترقيةلإخفاء كل الإعلانات
المشاركات: 39   تم الزيارة من: 117 users

المشاركة الأصلية

نشرت بواسطة notserral, 17.03.2012 - 19:50
14) Do not do anything that interferes with the ability of other users to enjoy playing a game in accordance with its rules, or that materially increases the expense or difficulty of staff in maintaining the game for the enjoyment of all its users.

The problem begins with the inability to pinpoint what constitutes an "interference to other's ability of enjoy playing a game". My ability of enjoying the game was severely hindered by ganking, betraying, latejoining, trolling and even turnblocking. The rule can't be enforced with 100% certainty if we can't pinpoint exactly what defines that interference. The mods can be used to assure where such and such behavior breaks the rule, to point what's the turning point from a player latejoining to enjoy the game to a player latejoining to gimp another one's war efforts.

And the problem with that is that people are inherently flawed, thus no decision is 100% perfect without margin of error. And it's incredibly hard for a mod to be completely unbiased (as naturally is for any human being), and from that may arise claims of mods benefiting certain players or hurting others on purpose. Also, if we leave it all up to someone's interpretation of the rule, we can surely agree sometime or another such interpretation can be bent or swayed to serve ANY purpose.

This is why I don't believe in a rule regulated gameplay, but rules defined by game design, without need of mods to enforce it. Tabletop games need rules to limit and shape gameplay, whereas video games can simply implement those and no player can break them without serious glitching or exploiting bugs. In my opinion: latejoining, betraying, ganking, are all part of the game and if every latejoin was a bannable offense we'd have 3 active players right now.

I propose that we get rid of rule 14 entirely and implement other measures to enforce it instead. First of all, we could have the latejoin week default setting lowered to 3 or 5. Joining on turn 9 is completely and much more game breaking than joining on turn 4 or 5. Second, we could have latejoining players be aproved unanimously by every player in the game, with a message - Player X wants to join the game in country Y. Accept / Do not accept - which I believe would contribute to a less surprisy gameplay, and much better overall, since if one player does not approve then it doesn't happen.

This would SEVERELY lower trolling attempts and improve the gaming experience for ALL players.
21.03.2012 - 03:04
Until this point I have refrained from posting in this thread, but I can no longer hold my tongue. What I think several members are failing to recognize is that Afterwind is not a democracy - you do not have a say. The moderators are chosen to regulate the community and settle disruptions. However, in my opinion, moderators should not active engage in disputes with members. It is my belief that those in authority roles should stay above the fray in order to make decisions in the most unbiased way as possible.

The regular members of this community need to understand that their say does not necessary need to be taken into consideration. The moderators have been relegated to have complete power in governing. It is how Afterwind works, and they can leave if they don't like it. It is up to those chosen to interpreted the existing rules in order to preserve a fun experience for the majority of players. We, as common players, do not and should not have ability to influence the decisions of those in power. All that would lead to is the voice of a vocal minority overpowering the desires of the majority. On the other hand, moderators must show personal restraint in dealing with problems when they arise and that is why this thread discourages me though. The fact of the matter is that this isn't one sided. Every Afterwind players need to look at themselves and their actions before criticizing another.

I enjoy the company of every moderator here, you guys know that, and any opinion I give is meant to be constructive and helpful - I am not bashing any of you. That being said, I have to say this thread has gotten out of hand. You do not need to lower yourself by engaging in a conversation such as this. Part of being a public figure and a leader is being able to take criticism without feeling the need to respond. It is impossible to actively be apart of an argument and then attempt to moderate professionally and in an unbiased nature, we are all human. The only way to judge a situation objectively is to separate yourself from it. I realize you are trying to defend yourself, but you shouldn't feel the need to do that as it only gives fuel to those who say you show bias. If you are confident in your abilities, you shouldn't feel the need to defend your actions.

Please lock this thread as there is nothing more that can be gained from discourse such as this aside from a more fractured community. I am able to recognize my bias towards some members, but this has not blinded me. The fault here lies on both sides. If you think before you act, there is no reason for you to put yourself in a situation where you are punished. If you think they are biased, work hard to not give them an excuse to attack you. From my experience, the vast majority of decisions concerning deleterious behavior have been just. However, authority figures need to hold themselves to a higher standard and not engage in something as petty as this thread.

This is purely my opinion, and I apologize if I came off as volatile as that way not my intent.
تحميل...
تحميل...
21.03.2012 - 04:16
I like the people in SRB that's why I am in it and why I will probably remain. If I wasn't friends with these people I wouldn't be playing Afterwind right now. However it's clear that SRB players were in the wrong here. All the discourse in this thread has been about how if you just act sensibly then you won't ever meet a mod. This is totally true. The only times I've been in contact with a mod in their official capacity I've either been using Global to chat with people (which only results in a mute and I probably won't stop doing this) or have seriously broken the rules.

Mods get an impossibly shit deal out of being mods. They don't get paid and all they get in return is the opportunity to babysit the community, horray. Whilst mod bias may exist it can't be denyed that the SRB stance towards mods is now so totally delusional that any attempt the mods make to enforce the rules of the game on SRB players makes them scream like Thomas Jefferson about police states and authoritarianism.

Whilst I would say SRB would feel better if they had a mod on the team (and like it or not we are amongst the best players in the community and have written guides and videos to show how to play the game better) through our behaviour we've shown that we really don't deserve it. We've been acting like stroppy children and I'm really embarrassed by it.
----
كتب بواسطة Amok, 29.04.2012 at 08:36

Gardevoir, your obnoxiousness really baffles me sometimes...just leave for good already or stop whining.
تحميل...
تحميل...
21.03.2012 - 06:21
 Acquiesce (مراقب)
كتب بواسطة Barrymore, 21.03.2012 at 04:16

I like the people in SRB that's why I am in it and why I will probably remain. If I wasn't friends with these people I wouldn't be playing Afterwind right now. However it's clear that SRB players were in the wrong here. All the discourse in this thread has been about how if you just act sensibly then you won't ever meet a mod. This is totally true. The only times I've been in contact with a mod in their official capacity I've either been using Global to chat with people (which only results in a mute and I probably won't stop doing this) or have seriously broken the rules.

Mods get an impossibly shit deal out of being mods. They don't get paid and all they get in return is the opportunity to babysit the community, horray. Whilst mod bias may exist it can't be denyed that the SRB stance towards mods is now so totally delusional that any attempt the mods make to enforce the rules of the game on SRB players makes them scream like Thomas Jefferson about police states and authoritarianism.

Whilst I would say SRB would feel better if they had a mod on the team (and like it or not we are amongst the best players in the community and have written guides and videos to show how to play the game better) through our behaviour we've shown that we really don't deserve it. We've been acting like stroppy children and I'm really embarrassed by it.

Thank you for a voice of reason. I also enjoy the company of most of the players in SRB.

Personally, I can't agree with Nateballer. I don't think that AW or anything that wants to be called a community should be run so harshly. But Id just like to point something out. Arbitrator and many others seem to say that we dont pay attention to their suggestions despite the contrary being the truth.

Do any of you (not just people from SRB) realize how democratic Afterwind is? I feel like most people are just taking it for granted and not appreciating how much consideration is taken into your suggestions. There are feedback polls and players are usually a click a way from contact with the game creators or at least a mod. As a result, much of what this game has become has been determined by its players. This is hardly authoritarian.

Rather than complaining about false victim hood, why not be thankful for how much power we have regarding what happens in Afterwind. I for one am.
----
The church is near, but the road is icy... the bar is far away, but I will walk carefully...
تحميل...
تحميل...
21.03.2012 - 09:19
كتب بواسطة Guest14502, 21.03.2012 at 00:12

Ah, Arbitrator has uncovered the truth about Mods I see. We're all here to troll players for no reason, we're all biased, and we're smug knowing we can get away with it. In fact, I just banned Amok's account so he'll never read this thread and discover our secret.

actually, you and Acquiesce the only one that has never done it, and the only good moderators on the site, you are the only mods i respect for on this site. I also respect the beta mods like marcjr, gigglin and specter.

I mean before srb i was never warned by the mods, even though i acted the same, the mods i just more likely to spot what we do wrong, and give harsher punishments.
Even now, on a seperate account i use and act exactly the same, i am never punished.
How about the time vaglneer went on a seperate account and talked to pinheiro, they were laughing and joking, then pinheiro found who he was and muted him. fun stuff.
and ofc, caulerpa is butthurt, he has totally boycotted srb in cw. refusing to play us in game is an obvious bias? right?

كتب بواسطة Hugosch, 21.03.2012 at 02:03

كتب بواسطة nonames, 20.03.2012 at 21:40

[...] Also, and ideas and suggestions we give that are actually really great are totally ignored.
eg. Elo
me saying the current coalition seasons are a pile of shit,
oh and the admins ignoring what Houdini said about desert storm, and implementing a worthless strategy. [...]

- The ELO system was supported by mods, who even posted their support in the thread
- Same with the current coalition system
- About Desert Storm: A lot players had suggestion on this. Finally they implemented what was asked, not only by Houdini, but also whats technical doable
Not getting all your idea's done, doesn't mean there is not taken a look at it. Really, you guys are totally ignored, and i don't even know why i'm posting a reply on a SRB post right now.

Also you take the victim role, like most of the banned and muted players also do. "We get muted and banned for nothing, we are really such nice guys and all players just don't understand our humour. BTW; all mods are biased because they muted me, i didn't do anything; they just muted me when i was playing a game!".

كتب بواسطة Boys_Noize, 21.03.2012 at 00:09

[..] I've never had any issues with them and people I know never had issues with them too.

This.
Most people don't have anything to do with any mod.

What houdini and t,atheist worked out for desert storm
Tanks, 7 Attack, 3 Defense, 3 ARB, 7 Hit points, 6 Range.) - cost 140.
Marines, 6 Attack, 3 Defense, 3 ARB, 7 Hit points, 7 Range.) - cost 140.
Helicopters, 7 Attack, 5 Defense, 5 ARB, 8 Hit points, 13 Range.) - cost 150.
Bombers, 6 Attack, 6 Defense, 3 ARB, 7 Hit points, 12 Range.) - cost 180.
Submarines & Transports (11 Range.) - cost 300 for Transports, 250 for Submarines.
a strategy that is not op, has strengths and weaknesses.

what we got:
Tanks, 7 attack 6 range 150 cost (good)
marines 6 attack 7 range 130 cost (all good)
Helicopters 8 attack 5 defense 11 range 150 cost (that - range really is a hit, i mean helicopters can't even keep up with air transports.)
submarines - unchanged - totally defeats the point of having cheaper marines and it's now more efficient to use infantry instead.

sure the admins have the last say in what strat goes in, but they don't play the game, they don't understand that DS is really useless, second worse above lucky bastard.

Regarding coalition seasons. Last season, all the training coalitions finished above there main coalitions because coalitions wre too scared to face each other because they didn't want to lose positions.
this season, a coalition that has lost more than double the games they have won, has earned enough CP to place them where 5 place would of put you last season, i mean comeon.
I said the system would be terrible, no i didn't come up with a better option, but it would of been better to not put in a system that doesn't work at all.
تحميل...
تحميل...
21.03.2012 - 09:49
Seriously? Nobody believes this statement besides a few of your own cln members.

If you want to change the image you have start by changing your behavior, not the opposite. I have many SS's and PM's that simply nullifies your argument, but I don't even need to post them, just look at your own content on your cln page.

كتب بواسطة nonames, 21.03.2012 at 09:19
How about the time vaglneer went on a seperate account and talked to pinheiro, they were laughing and joking, then pinheiro found who he was and muted him. fun stuff.

Of course, did you want me to punish his trolling account without hurting his main? Stop role-playing the victim, please. Nobody supports that statement besides own SRB members.
----
"Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms".
تحميل...
تحميل...
21.03.2012 - 10:10
Good morning everybody!

hopefully everybody has cooled down?lol Just to clarify I did not say SRB is not a bunch of trolls,I just said most well known trolls(there are not a lot really) on AW come from there. Its not good because it affects the image of the cln (whether you give a what or not) and tends to give people the image that SRB is a bunch of trolls when in actuality only a few are. What Barrymore said makes a lot of sense, letting members go about like that doesn't help the cause for a potential SRB mod.

Although maybe there is good point in having mods in a sperate cln (like guest in squirrels), just so nobody can complain about bias. In the end though, yes they are not being paid for this, this is volunteer work for them, and its not easy dealing with people all the time when all you want to do is watch tv and sleep after a hard day's work.

PS. tried DS on another account, not feeling it at all. I'll stick to GW or MOS, marines are too boss to be a support troop only.
تحميل...
تحميل...
21.03.2012 - 10:48
كتب بواسطة Pinheiro, 21.03.2012 at 09:49

Seriously? Nobody believes this statement besides a few of your own cln members.

If you want to change the image you have start by changing your behavior, not the opposite. I have many SS's and PM's that simply nullifies your argument, but I don't even need to post them, just look at your own content on your cln page.

Of course, did you want me to punish his trolling account without hurting his main? Stop role-playing the victim, please. Nobody supports that statement besides own SRB members.

he wasn't trolling, he was proving the bias against srb members, and you openly admitted you did it. well done
تحميل...
تحميل...
21.03.2012 - 11:09
@Arbitrator: I've never heard so much nonsense laced together.

What houdini and t,atheist worked out for desert storm

Again: Not getting all your idea's done, doesn't mean there is not taken a look at it. If we did work out the system that they proposed, some other player could have said the same about his idea.

What do you want to say with this? That Moderators act different towards 'known' players then 'unknown' players? Well offcource we do.

Coalition system is terrible

To tell you the truth: The new system should get more activity between coalitions. It has reached that goal, there are more CW's played then ever before and there are a lot of new coalitions created. Offcource, the system can be much better and no one would disagree with that.

كتب بواسطة Barrymore, 21.03.2012 at 04:16

[...]

Very nice post Barry. Also: You are the evidence that mods don't only pick on Byzantia without reason. You, Houdini, YOBA, ThomasMer, tesla, the list goes on and on. They all never have trouble with any mod, just because they behave polite.

كتب بواسطة NateBaller, 21.03.2012 at 03:04

[...]

I completely agree with your post Nateballer and maybe we (the mods) should be more on the background with these discussions. Maybe its something to think about

كتب بواسطة NateBaller, 21.03.2012 at 03:04

Please lock this thread as there is nothing more that can be gained from discourse such as this aside from a more fractured community.

Done
----
Exceptional claims demand exceptional evidence.
تحميل...
تحميل...
21.03.2012 - 12:35
اقتبس:
All the discourse in this thread has been about how if you just act sensibly then you won't ever meet a mod.
تحميل...
تحميل...
atWar

About Us
Contact

خصوصية | شروط الخدمة | لافتات | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

انضموا إلينا على

أنشر الكلمة